Could excess cholesterol in atherosclerotic plaque be part of the problem?
As cholesterol cannot be broken down by the body, a two-way process of influx and efflux moves cholesterol into and out of arterial plaques.3
Any imbalance between influx and efflux causes plaques to gradually become engorged with excess cholesterol.4–7
More on cholesterol efflux
Get the latest news
Sign up to receive news alerts and information about educational resources to help your patients through the 90-day high-risk period post AMI
AMI, acute myocardial infarction; CV, cardiovascular
1. Chi G et al. Clin Cardiol 2022; 45:299–307.
2. Jernberg T et al. Eur Heart J 2015; 36:1163–1170.
3. Angelin B et al. Atheroscler Suppl 2002; 3:23–30.
4. Pepine CJ. Am J Cardiol 1998; 82:23S–27S.
5. Wentzel JJ et al. Cardiovasc Res 2012; 96:234–243.
6. Kingwell BA, Chapman MJ. Circulation 2013; 128:1112–1121.
7. Estrada-Luna D et al. Molecules 2018; 23:2730.
8. Soares AAS et al. Clin Chim Acta 2018; 478:51–56.
9. Ross R. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:115–126.
10. Rader DJ et al. J Lipid Res 2009; 50 Suppl:S189–S194.
11. Rached F et al. Biochim Biophys Acta 2015; 1851:1254–1261.
12. Silvain J et al. Curr Opin Cardiol 2019; 34:714–720.
13. Ray KK et al. Eur Heart J 2014; 35:1792–1800.
14. Saleheen D et al. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2015; 3:507–513.
15. Rohatgi A et al. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:2383–2393.
16. Piepoli MF et al. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2016; 23:1994–2006.
17. Guerin M et al. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 72:3259–3269.
18. Zhang J et al. Am J Cardiol 2016; 117:508–514.
19. Bakhai A et al. J Interv Cardiol 2012; 25:19–27.
20. Punekar RS et al. Clin Cardiol 2015; 38:483–491.
21. Zhao Z, Winget M. BMC Health Serv Res 2011; 11:35.
22. Chapman RH et al. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2011; 11:11.
23. Schwartz GG et al. N Engl J Med 2018; 379:2097–2107.
24. Cannon CP et al. N Engl J Med 2015; 372:2387–2397.
25. Schwartz GG et al. JAMA 2001; 285:1711–1718.
26. Bhatt DL et al. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:11–22.
27. Bhatt DL et al. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019; 73:2791–2802.
28. Mehta SR et al. N Engl J Med 2019; 381:1411–1421.
29. Wallentin L et al. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:1045–1057.
30. Nair R et al. J Am Heart Assoc 2021; 10:e019270.
USA-GEN-0051 | August 2023